22 Things You Must Know About GRAMMARLY
Recently, I finished writing my first book. Well… in fact not only writing but also editing it.
I was so proud. It was looking great. I sent it to my editor, to polish whatever was necessary. When I received the book back… surprise! What I thought was perfect… was looking like a painted artwork; lots of modifications. I couldn’t believe it.
We reviewed the book together… line by line… word for word. My editor was right. Almost each issue he proposed had to be changed. I had to accept. It really made sense to agree with the corrections he made. Well done! Congratulations! We did such a good job together!
I only had to wait on my designer now for the photos to be completed, and then I could start formatting the book.
At least I thought so. But life is amazing. Change can occur at anytime for any reason… from anywhere.
That is how things laid out that day… the day when I received an invitation to look at a program that I didn’t yet know about… Grammarly.
Well… if you think Grammarly is just another program out there… you are wrong. It is not another program… it is The Program! But let’s not anticipate.
I accepted the invitation to check out Grammarly. “What should I start testing it with?” I thought.
Well… I decided to start with none other than my book… written, edited and post edited; the book almost ready to go out on the market.
Copy… Paste… the book was right there, inside the Grammarly screen. Few seconds… maybe not even seconds but fractions of seconds… it showed me its proposals for correction.
Wow! Mind blowing! Sincerely speaking… I was very impressed. My eyes were looking at the screen, noticing all the notifications.
I decided to check the book for plagiarism also. I was sure that nothing wrong would be discovered. Ok. One click and I activated this function also.
Silence… in my office there was such a deep silence that you could hear the mosquitos flying from last summer. No, no… it is not a grammatical error… I could hear not only the present but the past also in that silence. I was waiting for… the results to appear on the screen. Those few seconds appeared to me like a long, long, very long time. In fact, there were no more than 10 seconds…
Surprise! My heart stopped for some moments. The result came… I was so sure everything would be fine but… it was written there in front of my eyes… “6% not original text” in my book.
I was stupefied.
Yes, this was my state. Plagiarism… did I do something like this? My heart was broken. After the shock had diminished a little, I started to dig in further… who else wrote what I wrote in my book? How is it possible to copy someone when I knew very well that I didn’t? I was so curious about this.
“OK,” I said to myself… “Let’s do it. Let’s find who else wrote this.”
One click was separating me from the moment when the truth would be revealed. My hand shook for a while; my heart raced … finally… one moment of breath stopped, eyes closed… and…
Click! I did it!
I slowly opened an eye… the second eye followed almost after a while. My blue eyes looked at the screen. The name of the one who could eventually accuse me of plagiarism was there. I could see it very well.
But… wait… what is wrong here? Am I somehow dreaming? That name… I know the name. The fog that had instilled in my head started to vanish. I began to smile… the smile became bigger and bigger. One second later, I was already laughing. The one who could accuse me of plagiarism was… none other than me. M.C. Simon was the one who had the guts to write the content that I was checking for. Not one sentence, but several of them. 6% of the book was plagiarized by me, and I copied from… myself.
This was incredible. Who would ever think that Grammarly can dig so deep trying to find the original text? I am not a notorious name… yet. 🙂 It’s been only a few months since I decided to start writing.
I could never imagine that a program can be so good in tracking what has been already written by someone else. So good is this Grammarly program that it can even find what you have written before, what you intend to publish in your book.
For accuracy, these are the articles that Grammarly indicated being plagiarized:
Aha! An Aha moment… I have to admit… Grammarly conquered my heart and mind at the same time.
After I had finished searching all the results about plagiarism, I called my editor and asked him to check Grammarly from his point of view. After one day, he called me back. Without any introduction, his voice whispered into my ear, “MC… I just fell in love.”
Well… my editor is not the type to fall in love every five minutes. While my ego was hurt because I was sure that I am not the main character in that story, I was wondering what confession I was about to hear.
He continued, “MC… Grammarly stole my heart away! It’s fast; it’s smart and can instantly catch what human minds couldn’t.”
Aha! Another Aha moment for me! I was not wrong. This Grammarly is something like a wizard. I was also abducted by its accuracy.
I know my editor very well. He is brilliant, he is fast and smart is written all over his forehead. Still… he fell in love with… but, wait. Did I mention that I also fell in love with it? Grammarly is my choice!
This is the story, my dear reader! I tried to make it as short as I could, to let you sense what I felt while trying this product.
MY SYNTHESIS REVIEW
I recommend Grammarly to everyone: readers, writers, but especially editors.
No, don’t think that I am insinuating that you are not good at what you do! You are!
But… after using Grammarly,
No grammar will succeed to beat you up anymore! Ever!
Now permit me to be more explicit. Let me further tell you what I found about Grammarly.
22 Things about Grammarly…
The program loved by Writers and Editors
- Grammarly finds and corrects up to 10✕ more mistakes than your word processor.
- It improves word choice with context-optimized vocabulary suggestions.
- It is compatible with Word™ and Outlook®.
- Finds almost instantly, over 250 types of grammatical mistakes.
- Grammarly detects plagiarism by checking your text against over 8 billion web pages. Automatically generate citations in MLA, APA, and Chicago styles. Not sure how to cite your sources? Don’t worry; it’s got you covered.
- It is your contextual spell checker, meaning correctly spelling words used in the wrong context.
- Your vocabulary will enhance with Grammarly’s word choice suggestions that optimize for the context of’your document. Readability and meaning are improved instantly.
- Grammarly is made by professional linguists.
- You are never obliged to accept the solution that Grammarly suggests. You will receive several variants to implement in your text, but the choice is yours.
- Grammarly generates a writing score based on the number of errors. Therefore, if you love competition, using Grammarly you just found your best adversary… Yourself. My advice: compete with yourself! It is the best, funniest and engaging competition ever.
- Grammarly’s online proofreader automatically detects grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choice and style mistakes in your writing. The online proofreader is fast, accurate, and accessible anywhere.
- Even the most eagle-eyed proofreader sometimes misses a mistake, especially misspelled words or commonly confused word pairs. Grammarly’s automated proofreader spots words that are spelled correctly but used in the wrong context.
- Grammarly significantly cuts down on all the extra time you spend rereading and rewriting by focusing you on where your writing needs work.
- Grammarly adjusts to YOUR style, so you’ll effortlessly learn how to improve YOUR writing.
- You can choose from the monthly, quarterly, and annual subscription plans.
- Grammarly also offers enterprise subscriptions for bulk users in K-12, higher education, enterprises, and government.
- In addition to the subscription services, Grammarly provides free resources to English writers.
- You can find a community for asking and answering questions about English writing at the following link: Grammarly® Answers
- The best online guide, I ever found, explaining English grammar and style, can be accessed here: Grammarly® Handbook. It describes various grammatical rules and offers examples of correct and incorrect use. The rules are:
- Adjectives and Adverbs
- Quotation Marks
- End of sentence punctuation
- Other punctuation marks
- Italics and Underlining
- Phrasal Verb and Idioms
- Compound Words
Sentence style and sentence clarity
- Conditional Sentences
- Qualifiers and Quantifiers
- Mixed Constructions
- Shifts in Writing
- Sentence style
- Transitions and Transitional Devices
Improve Your Writing
Basics of Writing (Composition)
- Writing a Draft
- Revising and Editing the Draft
- Writing Paragraphs
- Document Design Issues
Academic Writing – Specific Requirements
- Argumentative Writing (Persuasive Writing)
- Essay Writing
- How to Write a Research Paper
Organization and Development
- Logic In Argumentative Writing
- Writing Concisely
- Patterns Of Organization For Academic Texts
- Organizing And Developing Your Ideas
- Text-level Measurements Of Adequate Writing
Revising and Editing
- Basic Mechanics
- Spelling and Grammar
- Scrubbing (Writing Style)
Research and Documentation
- Evaluating Resources
- Documentation Styles
- You have access to Grammarly® Words, which is a contextual online thesaurus providing suitable synonyms for your writing.
- Grammarly’s® Blog is waiting for you. It is an inside look into Grammarly, including news, writing tips, guest posts from gurus, and more.
- The BEST thing you should know about Grammarly is that no review can completely explain the satisfaction that it is giving you. You should try it yourself, not five minutes, not half an hour, but you should try it until you can dig deep inside this treasure. When you realize what you already have in your hands… keep it there and never let it go!